Saturday, March 12, 2011

HELP! I'M STUCK!!

The stairs that led from our kitchen door down to the backyard were made of wood.  The space between each stair was large enough for a child to slip through, or so I thought.

When I was about seven or eight, a couple of my friends and I thought it would be fun to crawl through the stair opening.  I was the first one to try it.  My body went through just fine.  But my head got stuck.  Try as I might, I couldn't get out.

My father came to my rescue by getting his hack saw and shaving out a curve underneath my head to make the opening large enough to free me.  He never repaired the stair.  The scar on the stair from his handiwork was still there when we moved out of the house.

Maybe he never fixed the stair so that I would have a reminder not to try stupid things again. You know, it probably worked because I haven't been one to indulge in risky behavior.

Update:  My oldest sister raised the question "Why didn't you just go back out the way you went it in?".  My other sister, who remembered this incident,  said that some how in an effort to get out of the stair opening, my head got wedged and I couldn't go in either direction.  It's great to be validated once in awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment