Friday, March 11, 2011

SUNDAY TRADITIONS

I made myself a sandwich today from roast beef left from yesterday's dinner.  The roast beef sandwich got me thinking about some Sunday family traditions of my youth.

Back in the olden days, church meetings went on all day.  The men would go to Priesthood meeting first.  The rest of the family arrived for Sunday School about an hour or so later.  This schedule often required the father of the family to drive to his first meeting and then go back home to pick up the rest of the family for Sunday School.  After Sunday School, everyone went back home for several hours then returned to church for Sacrament meeting in the late afternoon.

My mother always cooked a big Sunday dinner that we ate between Sunday School and Sacrament meeting.  There was just enough time between Sunday School and Sacrament meeting to get dinner on the table and the dishes done before we had to go back to the church.

Our route home from church took us past an ice cream place called "Giffords".  Wow, did they have wonderful ice cream!  On most Sundays, after Sacrament meeting, we would go  through the drive thru at Giffords and get an ice cream cone.  I'm pretty sure that we all had our favorite flavor and pretty much ordered the same thing every time.  My choice was easy...it was the pink kind, peppermint candy.

When we got home, my mother would make sandwiches from the left over roast beef.  To this day, I only want my roast beef sandwiches like my mother made them....white bread, mayo, salt, pepper, lettuce and roast beef.  And peppermint candy is my absolute favorite ice cream

P.S.  The consolidated block church schedule was implemented in the early 1980s partially due to a gasoline shortage.  Before then, members drove back and forth to the chapel on Sunday for three different meeting times.  Relief Society and Primary were held during the week requiring more drive time and gas.

3 comments:

  1. Great memories. But do you ever wonder how our father justified shopping at Giffords on Sunday when he was so careful about everything else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never questioned it as a kid. But as an adult, I have wondered about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went for ice cream every Sunday after church, too. The whole ward seemed to be there!

    ReplyDelete