Saturday, March 26, 2011

TOTALLY UNPREPARED

A child growing up in the LDS (Mormon) faith is usually baptized at the age of eight.  Baptism in the LDS faith is done by total immersion...having your entire body taken under the water. Prior to being baptized, LDS children are usually given a little preparation through Primary lessons and from their parents.  They may even attend the baptisms of family members and friends prior to their own baptism.  But not me.  Baptism was something that was expected and there wasn't a lot of discussion about it.  I turned eight.  I was going to be baptized. There was a brief interview with the Bishop of the Ward in advance of my baptism.  But no real preparation to speak of.

What I remember about my baptism is being absolutely terrified about having to be put completely under water.  I had little experience with swimming and was sure that I would drown.  I clearly remember waiting for my turn in a dark hallway or small room by the font and screaming and crying hysterically as my father held me.  I absolutely did not want to be baptized if it meant going under the water.  Some how, despite my protests that bordered on hysteria, my father accomplished the task.  But it was not a great experience for me.  How unfortunate that my parents didn't prepare me better or put off the baptism for a month or two because I was so upset.

I was a lot calmer the next day when I was confirmed a member of the church in Fast and Testimony meeting.  The trauma of my baptism was behind me.  I was just thrilled to be wearing the red felt poodle skirt with the reindeer on it and the matching red vest for the first time.

My baptism took place in the Washington Ward chapel in Washington D.C.  The chapel had an Angel Moroni on its steeple.  There came a point in time, when the church sold the Washington Ward chapel.  The Angel Moroni was removed from the steeple at the time of the sale.  It is now stands on the second floor of Church Museum of History and Art on Temple Square.

1 comment:

  1. This reminiscence of baptism is great! I'm sure I had the same poodle skirt outfit. I was baptized in the historic Salt Lake Tabernacle by my father who baptized four of my friends at the same time. I wish I remembered what I wore to my confirmation. . .

    ReplyDelete