Wednesday, March 23, 2011

M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E

"Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me? M-i-c-k-e-y M-o-u-s-e. Hey! there. Hi! there. Ho! There.  You're as welcome as can be. M-i-c-k-e-y-M-o-u-s-e.. Mickey Mouse.  Mickey Mouse. Forever, let us hold our banner high.  High! High! High!  Come along and sing a song and join the jamboree. M-i-c-k-e-y M-o-u-s-e.

I can't believe that I still remember the words to the Mickey Mouse Club March.  Well, it shouldn't be too surprising since I watched it just about every weekday afternoon at 5 PM.  The show premiered in 1955 and ran for a couple of years.  My friends and I were avid fans and completely enthralled with anything that had to do with the Mickey Mouse Club.

For the first year or so that it was on, I had to watch it at my friend, Terry's house.  We didn't have a television. After getting home from school, I changed into my play clothes, probably did a chore or do and maybe practiced the piano before cutting through Jeff's backyard and climbing the fence to get to Terry's house.  We each had our favorite Mouseketeer.  I loved Karen Pendleton and Terry loved Darlene Gillespie. When Mickey Mouse Club wasn't on, we would play Mickey Mouse Club pretending that we were Karen and Darlene.

We were pretty obsessed.  We sang and danced along with Mouseketeers every afternoon.  In our minds, we were Mouseketeers.  Some time during our Mickey Mouse Club days, a new girl started at our elementary school.  Terry and I were convinced that the girl who moved in wasn't really Carolyn, but Darlene Gillespie.  Carolyn looked similar to Darlene.  We followed Carolyn home from school one day just to see where she lived and worship her from afar.  Silly girls.  I got in big trouble with my mother when I finally got home.  I was always to come straight home from school.  My little diversion of about an hour that day landed me sitting on a chair in the middle of kitchen while mother made dinner.  I missed Mickey Mouse Club that day too. I don't think there could have been any worse punishment.

It was our dream to be able to visit Disneyland which had been opened in Anaheim, California.  Only one of our friends actually got to go to Disneyland.  It was a really big deal to us when Susan and her family made the cross country trip for a family vacation.  We were beside ourselves and really jealous that she was going to the land of Mickey Mouse and would probably meet ALL of the mouseketeers while there. She didn't meet any Mouseketeers.  But she brought us all Mickey Mouse ears.  We were in heaven.

7 comments:

  1. Can you remember each day's theme song? Guest Star Day, Anything Can Happen Day, Circus Day, Talent Roundup Day and... I can't remember the fifth one. My favorite theme was Circus Day:

    Here comes the circus
    Everyone loves the circus
    And that includes the merry Mouseketeers
    Clowns in the circus
    Chase the frowns from the circus
    As the old calliope rings in your ears
    There are lions, tiger, elephants and fliers on trapease
    And there are two weight lifters who lift anything with easy
    So hurray for the circus
    Everyone loves the circus
    You're the guests of the merry Mouseketeers!

    The way I understand it, Jimmy Dodd wrote all the Mouse Club music.

    -- Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that should be:

    So hurray for the circus
    Today is the circus

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other day was "Fun With Music Day". I have no recall of any of the daily theme songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK - you know the words, but can you sing any of it? The melody to part of it came back to me just a minute ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely. And though I don't know all the lyrics, I still know the tunes to Guest Star Day and Talent Roundup.
    --Alan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Cubby, and worshipped Annette. Actually worshipped, with a bunch of pictures and memorabilia spread out on my dresser like a shrine. My aunt permed my hair so I'd look like her, but my Scandinavian roots didn't hold up like her Italian locks. Everything you write about could fit into my life story. I love your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your memories too and they are also my memories. How fun to find you, thanks to 'Oma. :)

    ReplyDelete