Sunday, May 22, 2011

SHOOTING OFF ROCKETS

In the spring of my ninth grade year, I went on an overnight outing that included the Explorer post in our ward.  The Explorers were participating in an event with other Explorer posts in the state in which they designed homemade rockets.  It was a competition of sorts to determine which post had the most effective rocket. The event was held at an Army camp, Camp A. P Hill, that was somewhere in south eastern Virginia. I don't remember why girls from the ward were included in the trip.

We stayed in barracks that I described in my personal history as being a mess.  "They looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years.". I remember that it was hot and muggy. But apparently, I still had a lot of fun.  While waiting for and watching the rocket launches, we stood in a log bunker that provided some protection should there be an errant rocket or two. The only bad thing about the trip was that our post's rocket didn't work.

I may have been excited to go on this adventure because I had a real bad crush on Jimmy, my ninth grade prom date. I knew he would be going and it was an opportunity to hang out with him.

Here's that rocket shoot group.  
 Most of the girls in the picture were in the ninth grade. The boys were in the ninth grade and high school. I'm the second girl from the right side.  Norene is standing to my left.  And, the dark haired, handsome young man behind me is Jimmy.  Wow, I had forgotten how good looking he was.

Some interesting things about this group - the boy directly behind Norene is Kenlee.  He and his younger brother were killed in an automobile accident less than a year later.  They were on their way to Priesthood meeting.  Norene married Monte, the first boy on the left.  The marriage ended divorce after only a few years.  I have no idea what happened to the rest of these kids.  Did the dorky looking guys ever out grow their dorkiness?  Did all of the girls end up married and happy? And who is the girl standing directly behind the girl on the left side?  I know it's a girl because you can see the hem of her skirt behind the girl in front of her.

5 comments:

  1. I recognized Norene, Bonnie Babble, Elaine Hovey, and Richard Ricks right away. It took me a few minutes to remember Larry Beck. Bonnie's younger sister Judy is the mother of my neighbor, Brytt Cloward. Small world in the Church!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Left to right, they are Bonnie, Monte Bye,Larry Bush (not Beck), John Ackerson (sunglasses), Reed Haroldson (behind Elaine), J. R. Stevens behind Reed, Betty Foley, Richard, Art Stevens, Christy Gooch...you know the rest...blond kid on the end is Doug Ricks. I had written the names of these people right on the photo. It's Carolyn Tueller who's behind Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah...Bush. His mom had mdozens copies of the Book of Mormon, each one underlined for a different gospel principle. These names bring back so many memories. I'm really enjoying this blog, Connie. Thanks for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are enjoying it. Oh, and that's Art Young, not Art Stevens. Weren't Reed Haroldson and Elaine Hovey an item back then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reed and Elaine...yes! I'd forgotten about that. That must be why they are standing so close together. Carolyn Tueller..I remember her as slightly chubby but very pretty, living somewhat in the shadow of her "first-runner-up-to-Miss-America" older sister, Roseann.

    ReplyDelete