Wednesday, May 4, 2011

*SEEN IT ALL

Growing up in suburban Washington DC was great.  Even though I usually only went sight seeing in Washington when relatives came to town - which was a rare occasion - I've still seen most of the major tourist sites in and around the city.  Because of the proximity to DC, there were many school field trip into town.

I've been inside the Capitol, climbed all the steps up the Washington Monument, seen the original Declaration of Independence and Constitution in the Library of Congress.

I've been to both the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials, Mount Vernon, Lee Mansion and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington Cemetery.

My sisters and me in a picture that I think was taken at the Iwo Jima statue. Memorial Bridge and the Jefferson Memorial can barely be seen in the background just to right of the large tree.





I can't forget the hours spent in the Smithsonian Museum and the National Gallery of Art, either.  

There were family trips to Old Williamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown and Monticello.

I remember the feelings of awe and wonder as I toured these historic places. It really was a privilege to grow up where I did.

5 comments:

  1. And don't forget the Smithsonian museums, the National Art Gallery, and the White House. I used to walk past the White House every day on my way to a summer job. Back in those "old days," the D.C. area was a wonderful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had these places mentioned in one of my drafts. I guess I accidently deleted it when editing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so envy you--tho I visited the places mentioned once as a teenager, and then again about three or four years ago.

    Growing up in Los Angeles county had different perks. I used to go to the Pasadena Playhouse with Grandma and we would see people like Wm Holden and Tyrone Power on stage. Of course, I had no idea who they were.

    And once in a great while, celebrities like Penny and SkyKing would visit our elementary school. Oops! (Just trying to trick you) It was Hoppalong Cassidy and (I think) the Long Ranger and Tonto. Maybe it was Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. Anyway, it was pretty exciting for a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki - you forgot the perk of beaches and balmy weather in So. Cal. and proximity to Disneyland.

    I'm not sure which is more exciting-... having Roy Rogers and Dale Evans come to your school, or going to school with the kids of astronauts,
    White House press secretaries, senators and congressmen.

    All pretty heady stuff for a kid....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I did think of the beaches and Disneyland. However, when Disneyland was first built (and it was admittedly exciting), the biggest attraction was a rocket ship and Sleeping Beauty's castle--neither of which did anything. There really wasn't much to do there and the lines lasted forever. But it did get way better over the years.

    ReplyDelete