Sunday, April 24, 2011

MOVING ON UP

After completing elementary school, I started junior high at Williamsburg Junior High School.  I remember being very excited about the more grown up prospect of junior high..  Having older brothers and sisters, I kind of knew what junior high was all about....changing classes, being in a bigger school and the opportunity to make more friends. One of the biggest changes for me was that I had got to ride the bus to school. It was great to start the school day by gathering at the bus stop with the kids in the neighborhood. 

Seventh graders at Williamsburg changed classes but we had the same kids in all our classes.  I suppose that it was set up like that to help with the transition from elementary school. In addition to the basic classes like English, Math and Science, I also had home economics, music, art, business, speech and P.E..  The Home Ed, music, art, business, and speech were half year classes.

Back then you actually learned sewing skills in Home Ec.  I made a gathered skirt with a waist band that I wore on Easter Sunday.  When my own kids took Home Economic (I don't think it was called that), they made pillows or something like that and for sure, they didn't make anything that they would wear.

P.E. was a new experience and one that I didn't particularly like.  All students were required to change into P.E. clothes and shower after P.E.  The locker rooms didn't provide any privacy and the showers were "gang" showers rather than individual stalls. Perhaps you can imagine what it would be like to change clothes and shower with a large group of girls, from seventh to ninth grade.  I was pretty uncomfortable with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment