Friday, April 29, 2011

IT'S MUTUAL

Going into the seventh grade also meant that I started Mutual.  Back then, Young Womens classes weren't held on Sunday.  We met on a week night for lessons and activities.  I always liked going to Mutual because it was another time during the week when I could see my church friends - girls and boys alike.

One of the best parts of Mutual was the nights when we had dance instruction and/or casual dances.  It happened on a regular basis.  In every ward, there was always an adult or two who were proficient enough in ballroom dancing that they could give instruction to a cultural hall full of teenagers. Oh, and back then, there was no such thing as a cultural hall.  It was called the gym.

I remember instruction in the jitter bug, fox trot, waltz and cha cha.  I probably had my favorite partners since some boys were a little more skilled than others.  After our instruction, time would be allowed to dance to 45's.  It was also a time when I hoped that the current boy that I had a crush on would ask me to dance.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's sad that ballroom dance instruction isn't given to most teens today. I loved the stake cotillions and the mutual-night dancing! We were very fortunate to have the Goodsells in our ward to get the dancing going.

    ReplyDelete