Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A BIG ADVENTURE Part 2

I had many relatives living in Salt Lake.  There were two aunts, a grandpa and several cousins on my mother's side.  On my father's side, I had an aunt and uncle, grandmother and many cousins. My mother also had a sister living in Montana.  While we were in Utah, her family made a trip to Salt Lake as well. Our days were filled with much visiting and sightseeing.

Back in 1954, the Salt Lake Temple was the dominate building of the city skyline.  There were no sky scrapers to block the view of the temple.  Having only seen pictures of the temple, I was pretty excited to get my first in person glimpse of it. I remember our visit to Temple Square only vaguely. I know that the grounds were surrounded by a tall iron fence and not the solid wall of today.  The iron gates at the entrances is all the remains of the fence that I remember. The only visitor's center that I remember was on the south side of the square.  The visitor's center was more like a gift shop. 

It was at the old ZCMI store that I had my first experience with an escalator.  I had never seen one before. My mother and sisters headed up the escalator, thinking that I was right behind them. But I balked and didn't want to step on this somewhat scary contraption.  I stood crying at the bottom. My mother had to go back down the up escalator, pick me up and carry me up to the top.

One of our outings with relatives was to the Salt Lake Plunge pool on 300 West.  We went with my dad's brother and his family.  What I remember most about the outing was that my Uncle Carlyle was in the pool playing with all the kids and he actually seemed to be having a good time.  It was foreign to me to see a father playing with his kids. That certainly wasn't what my father did.

My mother had an aunt who lived in Orem so we drove to Orem one day to spend the day. Great Aunt Harriet lived on State Street in Orem across from the Scera Theater.  I was amazed to find the yard flooded with water while we were there.  I had no idea what an irrigation system was and didn't know that lawns could ge watered that way. I certainly had a great time playing in the water.

Another thing that amazed me about Utah were the deep gutters that often had water flowing in them. For me, it was a challenge to take a big enough step over the water filled gutters. Additionally, being able to see from one end of the valley  to the other amazed.  Back in Virginia, you couldn't see for long distances because of the trees and hills.

Other things on our To Do list while in Salt Lake was to go out to the Great Salt Lake. Back then, the lake was a big draw with a good size boardwalk and some concessions.  I waded and floated in the lake and managed to get the salt water in my eyes as well.  I remember a picnic at Liberty Park with a bunch of relatives and riding on the ferris wheel that used to be there.  There was probably also a canyon picnic as well.

One of the places that we stayed was at my Aunt Melva's house in the Avenues. Her house had many Hollyhocks growing in the yard that were in full bloom. My mother taught me how to make Hollyhock dolls by picking blossoms of the plants and using toothpicks to create the dolls.   The full opened blossom became the doll dress.  Unopened blossoms were used for the head and arms. My cousin from Montana and I decided that we would put on a little play using the hollyhock dolls we had made. I have no idea what the play was about but remember my aunts and cousins politely indulged us by watching our little production.

My grandpa Reid lived in a duplex on Canyon Road just below Memory Grove.  On a visit with him one afternoon, I got bored and decided that I would climb the hill opposite his house.  The state capitol was at the top of the hill.  I didn't get very far because the hill was steep with alot of under growth.  About all that I accomplished were scratches on my legs.

After three weeks of doing all that a new visitor to Salt Lake could do, my mother, sisters and I got back on a train headed to Washington DC.  At seven years old, I never thought I would ever be living in Salt Lake as an adult.  But for years, I have lived within just a few miles of where all my aunts, uncles and cousins lived at the time.  On a regular basis, I walk past the duplex where my Grandpa Reid used to live.  I used to live in the same ward boundaries where my Aunt Melva's house was in the Avenues.  I attend the ward where my father met my mother at an after mutual dance back in the 30s.  I live within walking distance of my great grandfather's home in the Avenues.  Sometimes, things come full circle whether you plan it or not.

Update:  Things really come full circle.  About a year ago, we moved in to a small red brick cottage on Canyon Road.  That cottage is next door to the duplex where my Grandpa Reid lived when he died.  

No comments:

Post a Comment