Sunday, February 27, 2011

VAGUE AND MAYBE A LITTLE INACCURATE

I was three when my parents moved from the house in Franklin Park.  So there are very few clear memories for me of time I lived in that house.  I know that the lot the house  was on was large enough for a vegetable garden. They also had some rabbits. Apparently, the rabbits ended up as part of family dinner at some point.  My mother kept the fur from the rabbits.  As a young girl, I had a beautiful royal blue, wool coat made by my mother.  The collar had white, rabbit fur on it.  Then there is the story of the family cow.

My grandpa Reid was visiting the family and decided that instead of having milk delivered to the house each day, it would be cheaper to have a cow to supply the milk. My parents said they didn't want a cow, but Grandpa bought one anyway.  The cow didn't last long with the family because the pasture where it grazed had wild onions that became a part of the cow's diet.  The family wasn't too fond of milk that tasted like onions, so the cow was sold.

I remember that there was a long driveway, going down a hill towards the back of the house.  The hill was held back with a rock wall.  In the lawn above the driveway, there was a flagpole.  I vaguely remember that once I was holding on to the flag pole and running around it. I let go of the flagpole and centrifugal force carried me over the wall and on to the driveway below.  In my recollection, my oldest brother, John, caught me as I fell.  But more accurately, he was probably near by as I went flying and picked me up, no worse for wear.  But in my mind, he saved my life because to a toddler, the rock wall was VERY high and I might have died had I hit the ground below. So, John, if you are reading this, maybe you have a better recollection.

Update:  My brother, John, confirms that he did actually catch me as I came flying over the retaining wall.  Luckily, he just happen to be standing there.  He's 11 years older than me.  So at the time of this incident, he was about 14.

2 comments:

  1. The rock wall was only about three feet high, but there was a retaining wall along the driveway, which went downhill and ended a whole story below the front yard. So if you fell over the rock wall where it was above the rear retaining wall, the fall would have been at least eight feet. You were lucky John was there to catch you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then I guess I remember both the rock wall and the retaining wall. I know that it was a LONG way down if you fell off the retaining wall.

    ReplyDelete